Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Getting ready for the Market...countdown begins

So tomorrow is our "American" Thanksgiving.  Which I will not be partaking of.  We tried to celebrate it when we lived in Germany the last time and while the food was good it was a bit of an ordeal.  The Pie alone cost something like 50 Euro!  It was hard to find the right ingredients. Not to worry our two grown children will prepare a feast for us when we return to the states - in early December.

With that said it is time to focus on the task at hand. The Nuremberg Christmas Market!  It is one of the largest in Germany and the most famous in the world.  And I have the pleasure of living right here. I remember years ago when my husband was here on a work trip, he called and held his phone out the window for me to hear the most wonderful sounds. I had no idea that I would make it to the market myself one day. I am anxious to look over the more than 180 stalls of Christmas things. It opens every year on the Friday before the first Sunday of Advent. Hmm that would be in 2 days....






The old town has been hard at work already for more than 2 weeks constructing the stalls and putting up the greenery. I am told that they are not allowed to have any artificial greens, no taped music, etc.  The more than 400 year old market has it all; mulled wine, gingerbread, Nuremberger sausages, and the most yummy warm sugared covered almonds.  It makes the most disagreeable night(if you happen to be having one) a pleasure.  The cold disappears and the people all seem to smile.  I can't think of a better way to end our stay in Germany.

Friday at 5:30 pm, I will be downtown waiting to see and hear from the Christ Angel. She officially opens the market with her prologue, from high atop the Frauen Kirche.

Be back soon with more....

No comments:

Post a Comment