Friday, July 22, 2011

Another day...end of a very long work week!

Okay, so I guess I am getting a bit braver in my old age.  Funny if you knew me you wouldn't thinkI had a hard time venturing out on my own.  But ever since the whole eye thing last time we were in Germany I feel a bit, well introverted  Not sure why but need I digress....

So after many days of only venturing out 1/2 a block to the City Park (oh yes we have also had horrible Thunderstorms...Like bowling balls going over the Cobblestone walks...or like when you were a kid and it was the angels bowling...non stop!) I decided to grab my cloth shopping bags and head to town for a few groceries. That and we were out of food! You can only shop for a few days here as the food spoils, overnight, and the fridge is only big enough to hold college size food - or should I say drink.  You get the picture.  It was a nice walk, no rain and pretty cool. The US is in a heatwave this week.

I actually had two full conversation in my broken German.  Let's face it I did not want to stand in front of the Deutsch Post if no one could help me. So in my bravest face I asked the older gentleman in front of me (all in German) "Hello, I am sorry, my German is not so good, but can I mail my letter here?"  Big step as we have been away from Germany now for 4 years and there has been no need to use German in the States hmmm.  So he answered back "German, German German,something about she will be right back and yes it would be okay German German German your German is not so bad!"  Wow well if that isn't what he said I am believing that is what he did say.  My spirits lifted a bit I figured I could tackle the big grocery store alone!
Off I went taking my time to look over everything.  I picked up 3 days worth of groceries and tried to figure out what the difference was between süße Sahne and Schlagsahne...I knew in Dusseldorf (sweet vs. whipped) but here there seemd to be niether on the shelf.  Here we go again.  The store was a bit empty and still feeling lifted by Herr German I decided to ask the women next to me.(In German)  "Entschuldigen, mein Deutsch is nicht so gut, aber, was ist Shlagsahne und ist das heir?" Always start with excuse my, my German is not so good but.....
She was great and told me she didn't know what it was in English, speaking in English and German and apologizing her English was bad because it was early in the day.  I said no problem thank you blah blah and then she showed me where it was in the store! Woo Hoo not so bad .  But wait it gets better.  NO you say....


After paying for my groceries (with the largest bill I had just in-case I didn't hear them correctly and gave them too small a bill. Tricky I know.) I went next door to the Penny Markt.  For the "icing on the cake".  Two yummy bottles of Riesling wine from the Mosel Valley, some great chocolate, and yes a bouquet of roses - mind you the whole bill for that was only 11 Euro.  They do price the important stuff right over here!


I must admit that is a great way to end the quiet, long work week.  I am looking forward to David being here and heading into Old Nürnberg to play and take photos.  Hopefully the travel on the weekends will get me through the long quiet weeks!So check back often...
tschüss

No comments:

Post a Comment