Monday, October 3, 2011

We did it and it was GRAND!

Wow were do I start...at the end I think.  We had a wonderful action packed 10 days of travel.  But the best part was of course the trip to Zugspitze that I blogged about doing.  We had a beer in heaven.  We drove to Garmish-Partenkirchen and found our way to the Cog wheel train.  Up we went to Germany's highest mountain. I couldn't believe we were in the Alps and honestly my legs were shaking with excitement.  Little did I know the shaking would continue for then next two days!  It was awesome.  I do mean AWESOME We took the train from Grainau up the mountain past the Eibsee (a wonder all it's own) and then into a dark tunnel.  We got to the Zugspitsplatt at 2600 m  and took a look around.
Zugspitsplatt

cable car going down 




The snow that had come down so heavy the week before was disappearing but there was enough to make it cold and wonderful.  I had added layers in the train to make sure nothing stopped me from enjoying this one. Then we took take a cable car up to the top, 2962 m.(almost 10,000 feet)  I would have loved to hike it, yes really, only 8 hours or so, but we did not have time if we wanted to continue on this glorious trip. You can see Austria, Switzerland, and Italy from here. I could have stayed up there all day. The sky was clear and we could see everything.  We stopped for lunch and a COLD beer.
My daughter and I sitting on the edge enjoying a cold beer in heaven!


And believe it or not the food was great too!
 Kent, Jordan's fiance


Then it was down the mountain in what can only be described as a sardine can.  See the photo and you will know what I mean. It wasn't a small cable car but they shoved so many of us in it you wouldn't believe it! 

The only advice I have if you go is to spend a little time on the platt before heading up to the top.  We were so anxious to see the world that we kind of hurried.  I would have enjoyed a coffee on the platt and a beer on the top.  But hey I have no complaints.  Beer in Heaven a friend of mine said. Genau!  (Exactly)

We headed over to the Olympic Ski Stadium...wow another cool site.  Parked the car and headed into the Partnach GORGE. it is about 2,305 ft in length and the walls rise to 263 ft.  It is fanominal.  Be prepared and wear good shoes with traction as the paths are very very narrow, wet, and in some place in complete darkness. Not a good idea for a women with eye problems. But hey I hung on and snapped pictures NOTHING keeps this women down! Guess i well end this for now and pick up with the Stadium and the gorge after lunch!  If you ever get the chance don't let it slip away....this WAS a gift of a trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment