Monday, September 5, 2011

I need NEW German boots already!

view from our room
We just got back from a couple of days in Bad Salzdetfurth. It is a spa area but that is NOT why we were there. David had some work to do so instead of sitting in the apartment I went along. I think it was to keep him company on the 4 hour drive, and after work. It was nice; however, now I need a new pair of boots.

This country loves their hills and I just can't seem to get away from them. We got in around 19:30 and headed into town for a late dinner. The whole town seemed desereted. Summer pause of something of the sort. The next morning Dave headed out and I headed, well, up - the street. There are numerous paths throughout the town. Again being a Spa community I was not surprised. It was about 8:30 and a bit quite. I walked up a very long street and came to the trail head and headed in.
I must admit it was a bit creepy that early in the morning and as I walked deeper into the woods I got a creepy feeling that this is NOT a good place for a lone woman, from another country to be walking into. However, in the back of my head I heard David say "and you are not going to sit in the room all day, right?" Okay so we have already established I am a bit of a, well for lack of a better description "delicate flower" And I don't mean "pansy" as I am very able to try new things just a bit - sensitive, I guess! But I was determined, so with camera in hand I kept going. I crossed over another trail, at least I think it was and then made a right and went in ....I found a really cool tower and decided to climb up.
202 meters up 



 The whole time I kept saying, "What if someone is in the hut below and they follow me up? I bet I have no cell reception up here? I have my room key in my bag they could take all my stuff...." So get this, I hurried all the way to the top and took a few pictures, of course it was till so foggy I got bunch of cloud photos ha ha and then, yupe I tip toed down very quickly. Like they won't hear me on the metal stairs in the middle of nowhere, where even the falling nuts on the trees make you think they are HUGE falling branches...  I am so silly it is ridiculous I know. But they say admitting it is the first step. I figured my heart rate was up pretty good from both the hiking and the talking in my head, so I head back to the paved saftey of the path. I almost missed the turn too. Good grief.

 Back to solid ground I started the long haul down the hill, through the beautiful park and into town for a coffee. Which I could not find. Weird town shut up tighter than a drum for some reason. I snapped a bunch of photos and head back to the room. They have a beautiful main street. All the half timbered homes have sayings and years carved beautifully into the thresholds.

 You can see more at


https://www.facebook.com/media/set/set=a.2278336645147.129844.1450685849&l=bfa8bcba11&type=1

I got back to the room and did a bit of resting up, cooling off and reading. Then hearing the voice in my head..."not staying in the room...." I thought I would find the next trail and have a bit of lunch.
ein kleines Pils und Currywurst...hat gut geschmeckte!

I tried the first place that looked open and there wasn't a table to be had. I got nervous and left...found another little place and headed in. Good choice, I could read the menu and sit for a bit. Then it was off, and yes up the hill on the other side of town. I made it about an half hour up and then headed in on the trail head. I started to hear things, no not in my head this time. I got a good way in and thought, okay I proved it to myself now let's get out of here. You might laugh but one is always much taller and much braver when one is not one at all but two! I got back, showered and waited for- yes you got it, dinner! Another good day :)
over 4 hours of hiking, a good lunch and lots of internal dialogue - I was done!

No comments:

Post a Comment