Monday, August 15, 2011

In our own backyard...

A nice quiet weekend in town. And I do mean quiet. The people who live above us have 4 kids in the same size place as us! And the little girl who we jokingly call Pima (pain in my - well you get the idea) Runs all day long from one room to the next. No lie I am not exaggerating one bit. I hear thump thump thump thump and then it almost always ends in hysterical crying. Amazing at first but not so much now! They must be out of town, I hear NOTHING. I told Dave maybe we should stay in all weekend ha ha.... So back to the quiet weekend.

We had a nice walk around town on Saturday purchasing some wine, phone min., and a few groceries from the big market. Then off to dinner at a Dave's boss's house. He does the cooking for his family, and it was very very good! Sunday we headed out for a bit of sightseeing "in our own backyard". Nuremberg's city center is pretty big and it is amazing how much there is to see. I had read about a fountain that I wanted to visit so we headed out taking a different path every time we could. We found we could walk along part of the city fortification and while up there found lovely gardens and views. Then there were a couple of churches and another one of the city's towers we had not seen, so off we went. It was rather funny when we finally got the bottom of the city and found the lovely fountain we found out we were literally on the corner of where I shop every week! Too funny. You just never know what is just around the corner here. And really you shouldn't miss a thing.
St. Elisabeth, Catholic church
St. James on the left, the town tower in the background and St. Elisabeth on the right

the Marriage Carousel fountain - created by Prof Jurgen Weber,
according to the poem by Hans Sachs in 1541; "Bitter Sweet Married Life".
Hans Sachs himself in standing on the corn. hmm

Bitter-Sweet Married Life
god be praised and honored
who has given me a god-fearing wife
with a home I have lived for twenty-two years
God gave me a home even longer
although in my married life
both sweet and sour have often happened
'My wife' is heaven and hell, devil and angel, peace and strife.

looking down from the wall to one of the entrances to the city...in the background
you can see the Nuremberg Castle and another on of the towers
a long day of walking needs a little refreshment

No comments:

Post a Comment