Monday, August 8, 2011

Photos photos and more photos...


I have a degree as  professional photographer and graphic artist.  Years ago (ahem) when I was finishing up my studies I had the opportunity to study Photography in Paris.  I remember the professor telling us we had to take 2 rolls of film a day.  I was wondering how the heck would I be able to shoot 2 whole rolls a day while studying abroad.  Back then, (clearing my thought again) a large roll of film contained 36 frames.  I was shooting 2 rolls of black and white and 1 roll of color everyday.

Well we just got back from four days in Saxony, Germany.  First we stopped in Seiffen and then over to Dresden.  I do believe I shoot 579 photos on this trip.  Good thing photography has come so far.  My digital camera lets me shoot any and everything and I don't have to worry about missing a shot or running out of film!  I also don't have to worry about spending hours in the darkroom developing the film and printing my photos. No worries I won't post all 579 of my photos.


our hotel Buntes Haus
our room number, smoker priest
What a fabulous trip.  I feel in love with Seiffen. Have the artist background going into the mountains to find a town that has changed very little from it's origins in and of itself was wonderful. Then fill the town with artisans that carve the most delightful wooden creations and you have a wonderland of sorts.  The whole town is like a storybook.  Almost every building has some sort of wooden creation outside - many of them life-size!  Our hotel was like a doll house.  Every door had a smoker under the number.



Dave checking in

"History of “Rauchermen” (Smoker) For five thousand years, incense, like gold, spices and gems, has been among the most precious gifts of kings and emperors. It has also been closely connected with religion. The bible says in Matthew 2, verse 11, about the journey of the Three Wise Men to Bethlehem: “and opened their treasures and offered him gold, frankincense and myrrh”. The festivity of the Three Wise Men is still celebrated in Germany on January 6.Christian and Germanic customs together with superstition made people believe that the evil spirits of the “Raunaechte” (longest nights of the year) could be driven away by noise and light. Once the devils and evil spirits had left the house fine incense was burnt to bless hearth and home.
bigger than life Angel and Miner - pyramid
The old sign: C+M+B
is also today written in chalk over the front door would be the magic spell that keeps all evil away throughout the year.
After the 30 years-religious-war (1618-1648) that was fought in the heart of Germany medieval piety and folk art combined to bring about new forms of burning-incense. Thus, the “Rauchermen”, carved and turned from wood, were born in the Miriquidi Forest, later known as the Erzgebirge. Over the years all kinds and types of Rauchermen were designed: respectable and professional people, folk characters, heroes and forest workers." 


even the street signs look like toys
So that brings me to the photos!...

No comments:

Post a Comment